samak's blog

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Thanksgiving Day

Today's a fairly regular day for me, but for our church, today marked the beginning of having Sunday School children serve the adults. It was quite a different sight with little children on the welcoming team, doin' scriptural reading, and collecting offering. I love the idea of giving the kids a chance to serve, and the adults a chance to learn together with the kids. Yes the various services could get a little messy, as they usually do when a change is implemented, but there were adult mentors to ensure that things didn't get out of hand. I I don't know about other parishioners, but I believe that God was smiling upon all these children the whole time.

All the Sunday school children offered a praise sacrifice today - a total of 3 songs: Obey Obey, Jesus Loves Me, and It's a Great Day to Praise the Lord. There's action that went along with the lyrics, and the children did it well. I saw this man sitting diagonally in front of me, who must be dady to one of the children, leaning forward watching his kid, moving his arms about to match the action that his kid was doin'...maybe to guide his kid along, maybe to encourage him, or maybe simply to enjoy the process together with him. I know this wasn't anything spectacular, but it touched me. It's the precious love of a parent for his child.

I thought of the girls in my Sunday school class...all of whom were blessed with a loving family. I thought of my friends who were raised in the love of their parents, and also those who didn't have that privilege. I wonder, as long as there's love, the kids cannot turn out too wrong. Yet there are so many parents out there who have no clue how one simple comment, or the lack of one, could turn a child's straight path crooked, or delve a cut so deep in his heart that it may never completely heal.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home